Are you looking for a social sharing plugin that will help you boost your social shares?
If you are a website owner and blogger, you know how important it is to make it as easy as possible for your readers to share your posts on social media. We all want more eyes on our content and social sharing tools will help to accomplish this goal. On the flip side, have you ever read a blog post, wanted to share it, but couldn’t find social sharing icons on the page?
The Right Tools
Having the right tools is an indispensable part of being successful at anything we do. This past summer, one of the tires on my bike had gone flat. I looked everywhere for that little inflating needle to use with our bicycle floor pump. I finally found it and was able to inflate the tire.
Similar to having the right tool to inflate the tire, we need the right tools on our websites. As a web designer, it is essential that I provide our clients with the right tools to help them market their websites. As a social media marketer, I also want the right tools on our website to increase SMO (social media optimization).
From a Web Designer’s Perspective
From a web designer’s perspective, I have been searching for a social sharing solution for some time that would be responsive, one that would allow mobile viewers to easily share from any device, and one that would preserve social shares when migrating from HTTP to HTTPS. My favorite social sharing plugin was reaching a critical “not updated in almost two years”, and it was time to find a new solution.
I am excited to share with you the social sharing WordPress plugin, Social Warfare. This plugin was developed by Dustin W. Stout, Jason T. Wiser, and Nicholas Cardot. I have known of Dustin in the digital sphere for quite some time, and I had to check it out. All three of the plugins developers have experience with design, WordPress, and social media. As content creators who are highly active in social media, the team set out to create a social sharing plugin that would do all the things that they wanted. The result is a fantastic tool that you will want to add to your social sharing arsenal.
Social Warfare Plugin’s Features
Social Warfare has a number of great features the sets it above the competition including:
- Responsive Design Social Warfare’s sleek design is responsive and adjusts to any screen that it is viewed in from a desktop to a tablet and smartphone. With the growing numbers of people using their mobile devices to view websites, a mobile-friendly social sharing plugin is crucial. In addition, with Google’s Mobile-Friendly ranking algorithm that rolled out in April of 2015, more and more website owners are having their websites redesigned into mobile- friendly websites.
- Customized Display Settings Within the WordPress admin panel, you are able to customize what social sharing icons you would like to display and in what order.
- Visual Design options The visual design options offer 6 different visual themes from flat and fresh (rectangular buttons) to connected buttons. You are also given the 14 color set options that include the choice of a custom color to match your brand. Another feature is to choose to have the share buttons float on the page and in what position (top, bottom or the left side of the page). Using this option will allow the social shares to float on the screen when users scroll down your page. Social Warfare’s floating social icons are on the bottom of the screen when you scroll this post.
- Display Locations In the display location options, you can choose the placement of the share icons on your posts, pages and site-wide.
- Link Shortening Ability You are given the option to activate link shortening. You will need a bitly account login username and API Key if you choose the bit.ly link shortener.
- Share count recovery The share count recovery to preserve social shares when changing URLs is one of my favorite features of Social Warfare. If you have changed your URLs from the default (ugly links) to permalinks, then you will be able to preserve the social shares on your previous posts. With Google’s HTTPS ranking signal, you may be considering migrating or have migrated your website from HTTP to HTTPS for SEO reasons. You can also select an option to preserve the social shares for this. According to the developers,” it may take up to 24 hours for share counts to update to their combined totals.”
- Ability to place manually Another feature of Social Warfare is that you can place the social icons manually. For example, I wanted to include the icons on the home page of our website and was able to with the plugin’s shortcode.
Social Warfare Additional Benefits
In addition to the many features that Social Warfare offers, there are added benefits that set it above what other social sharing plugins provide including:
- Click to Tweet If you have been using two separate plugins, one for social sharing and the other for “click to tweet”, you won’t have to with Social Warfare. Click to tweet is included. Simply put your cursor where you want the quote to appear, select the blue Twitter icon in your visual editor, and enter the two fields. You do not need to add your “via @username” or the URL as the plugin does it for you. #SMO Tip: Include tweetable text in your blog posts to increase social media shares.Click To Tweet
- Social Warfare Plugin’s Custom Social Media Options With Social Warfare, you will be able to customize your social media images that you would like to share and craft unique social media titles and descriptions. There are combined field options for Google*, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Pinterest has its own section for the image and description you would like to share. You can also customize the tweet that you would like shared.
There is a minimal cost of $29 (US) per year if you are interested in a single installation (Lieutenant’s Package). If you need more licenses, there is the Captain’s Package for 5 websites at $135/year, and the Colonel’s Package for 10 websites is $250/year. [Prices as of 7/2016] Support has been superb. When I initially installed the plugin, I had a question about the ability to preserve social shares. My question was promptly answered. 7/2016 Update: A slimmed down version of Social Warfare is available free through the WordPress repository.
Social Warfare Plugin Updates
The team at Social Warfare continue to fine-tune and improve this plugin. Significant updates include:
- Version 1.4.1: Restored Twitter counts by partnering with New Share Counts. Fixed the Twitter share counts
- 1.4.8: Added Google Analytics event tracking for button clicks.
- Version 1.4.5: Added both the Buffer and Pocket share buttons.
If you have been searching for a social sharing plugin that will supercharge social sharing, you won’t need to look any further then the Social Warfare plugin. From the responsive mobile-friendly design and the ability to preserve social shares to the added benefits of “click to tweet” and the ability to customize your social media images, titles, and descriptions, this is one WordPress plugin you need to try. If you are ready to give it a try, please visit Social Warfare Plugin. (Affiliate link)
Over to You
Will you be looking into the Social Warfare plugin? If you have tried it, what are your favorite features? I would love to hear your thoughts!How to Supercharge Social Shares With the Social Warfare #WordPress PluginClick To Tweet