If you are new to WordPress, creating a blog post may be intimidating. We are often asked, “How do I create a blog post on my new website?”
To help you get started, we have put together a graphic tutorial to illustrate 8 easy steps to walk you through creating your first blog post from start to finish. We have also included a few WordPress Posting Tips near the end to help you get off on the right foot. By following these steps, you will have a clear road map to guide you into the blogging world.
This WordPress blogging tutorial will cover:
- The location of the “Post” button in the WordPress Dashboard
- Where to select the “Add New” Post Button
- Entering the Blog Title
- Where to upload a photo, if desired
- Where to enter the blog article text
- Where to select a category for the post
- Where to add tags or short keyword phrases
- The final step: Publishing the post
Steps 1 and 2: Dashboard > Posts
After you have logged into the WordPress dashboard, locate “Posts” in the left column and click “Add New”.
View Larger Version
Steps 3 through 8: Follow the directions in the graphic below.
WordPress Posting Tips:
- Make a Backup of Your Article: Compose the article for your post outside of WordPress. For an example, use Microsoft Word for the backup. This way, you will have a hard copy of the article in the event something goes wrong like a power outage. Imagine working on a 800 word article in the WordPress authoring text box and the lights go out.
- Inserting Images into an Article: You may consider entering the text in the text box and then insert the photo. Place your curser in the text body where you would like the photo inserted.
- Visual or HTML: When composing your article text, you have the option of choosing the Visual or HTML format in the composition area. If you do not know HTML code, you may want to use the Visual option so that you have a good idea of what the final post will look like as you create it.
- Bold Text: Highlight the text that you would like to bold and click the “B” or Bold button to make important text stand out. The “B” is directly below the “Upload/Insert” button. Please refer to the graphic below.
- Bulleted and Numbered Lists: Consider using bulleted or numbered lists for organizing important lists in your copy. Internet viewers tend to scan web pages rather than read long paragraphs of information. Place your cursor where you would like the bullet or number, and click the bullet or number list options. See the graphic below.
- Links: To link text, highlight the text you would like linked and click the “Link” button above the composition area. A new window will pop up for your to enter the URL of the link. See the graphic below for the location
WordPress Text Forming Options
Creating your first blog post in your new WordPress blog does not need to be an overwhelming process. We hope that our WordPress tutorial and these visual directions have helped you on your blogging journey. Please let us know what you think.
© R & R Web Design LLC, a web design company in Michigan that is passionate about custom web design, search engine optimization and marketing.