You have probably heard that link building is an essential key to rankings in the search engines. You may have searched and read many posts by various authors on how to build links to your website including strategies promoting “content is king” – creating quality content so that others will link to your site, submitting your website to directories, and the new push for social media. There are a great number of articles and research about how to build organic links to comb through. As an alternative to spending hours analyzing strategies, consider listening to the number one search engine in the world, Google.
Google Search Quality Strategist, Kaspar Szymanski, shared an informative blog post on Google’s Webmaster Central blog. The article provides a explanation of practical approaches to build links including:
- Community Involvement: Build a reputation by interacting and contributing in blogs and forums centered on your topic in a positive and helpful way.
- Offer long lasting, unique and compelling content: The verbiage “content is king” is still king. When your website offers value and your expertise shines, others will want to link and recommend your site.
- Offer short tutorials or a video providing a solution to a problem: These are other practical ways of creating value. Szymanski states, “Both methods grow your credibility in the community and increase visibility”.
- Social Media: Amuse your followers with humor and great one-liners. Yes, the king appears to value the power of social media such as Google Buzz to “viral marketing” technique to increase the visibility of a site”. However, they do not recommend “counting only on short-lived link-bait tactics”.
- Never give up: Long Term Legitimate Link Building: Szymanski clarifies that building links legitimately is a long term effort and warns against buying links or casually exchanging links that will most likely bring no positive results. A stern warning is included, “If your site’s visibility in the Google index is important to you it’s best to avoid them.”
- Directory Submissions: Although there are great, topical directories that add Internet value, there are many that do not. If one does choose to submit their website to a directory, if is advised that they submit to “on topic, moderated, and well structured” directories.
- Examine similar sites: It was mentioned that “following by example” may be beneficial. In other words, it may be beneficial to examine similar sites in different markets and “identify the elements of those sites” that may work well with your site. A word of caution is given to be careful not to simply copy success stories, but to adapt principles that they have used to bring value to your website.
- Make Linking Easier: Think about making it easier for others to link your website with social bookmarking such as Twitter or Facebook. This strategy can help “spread the word” about the valuable content on your website getting the word out and drawing attention.
Following the advice of Google, the king of the web, will save time and ensure that your link building strategies will be successful.